Friday, April 8, 2011

Hard Boiled Eggs/ Egg Salad Sandwich / Science





When I was a kid, I would beg my grandma to take me to Woolworth's 5&10 so I could have lunch at the counter. I loved the egg salad sandwich!

How to make the perfect hard boiled eggs for a sandwich.

HARD BOILED EGGS
5 large eggs about 1 week old (store bought... the day you bring them home)

Start with your pot of cool water just covering the eggs. Start up the burner and bring water to simmering. Carefully, and I mean carefully (to the voice of Fog Horn Leg Horn) roll the eggs around for about a minute. Now take pot off the burner and cover for 16 minutes. Have a big bowl set aside with ice and cold water, spoon eggs into this cold bath for about 10 minutes. Take eggs out and store in a container, in the refrigerator. When you are ready to peel...run hot water over shells, this will cause condensation under the shells, tap gently on the counter all over and peeling should be easy.

EGG SALAD SANDWICH
5 hard boiled eggs (shelled) enough for 3 sandwiches

2 T mayo
1 t of margarine
1 pinch of dry mustard
dash of paprika
Celery-3 inch slice, outside threads removed and minced

 *salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl take your hard boiled eggs and add mayo and margarine, push down through the eggs until roughly blended add celery and spices, mix again. Spoon on bread to make a sandwich, oh, and make sure you cut diagonally, serve with bread and butter pickles and a handful of potato chips.
* I usually just add some pepper to reduce the salt in this meal.





No comments:

Post a Comment